I am finally sharing my chicken soup recipe! I make this soup all the time. You seriously cannot go wrong with this delicious soup. It does need some time to prep and cook, but I promise you, it will be so worth it!
I found a chicken soup recipe a few years ago online, and overtime, it has transformed and evolved into this perfect soup for our likings. I always crave this soup, and I think it is so so good!! And it’s pretty healthy so that is a plus too.
The secret to a good chicken soup is the stock! And the secret to a good stock is to use the bone in chicken with some skin. You can use a whole cut up chicken, or if you prefer white meat or dark meat, you can most certainly stick to those as well. As long as the chicken has bone and some fat on it, your good to go, or your broth will lack those delicious chicken flavors. Let’s get to the recipe!
Cook Time: 1 hour & 45 min
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 2 hours
Serving size: 4
What you’ll need
- 1 whole chicken (cut into quarters)
- water (about 2-3 liters)
- 2-3 dried bay leaves
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 2 carrots (chopped and divided)
- 2 celery stalks (chopped and divided)
- 1 medium yellow onion (roughly chopped)
- 2 medium baking potatoes (peeled & cubed)
- half a head of cabbage (chopped)
- 1 bunch of Fresh Cilantro (divided)
- 1 teaspoon of whole peppercorns
- 3 teaspoons of salt
- To create the delicious broth! Prep your whole chicken by cutting it up into quarter chunks. Use kitchen scissors or a sharp knife, but please be careful. Add the chicken to a large pot.
- Now to prep the veggies for the broth. Add the peppercorns, garlic, bay leaves, the roughly chopped up onion, only one chopped up carrot, only one chopped up celery, and a small handful of cilantro leaves with the stems to the pot.
- Fill the pot with cold water, add to the stove top, turn heat on to high, bring to a boil, then turn heat to a low simmer and cover with a lid. These veggies will be tossed after the broth is done cooking, you’ll add the rest of the fresh veggies in the last part of cooking.
- Simmer for 1 hour and 30 minutes. During the simmering process, you’ll notice froth building up. You can scoop it out with a ladle, or leave it since we will drain the broth later anyways.
- While the broth is simmering, you can prep the rest of your veggies and set aside. Peel and cube the potatoes, dice up a half a head of cabbage into bite size pieces, one chopped up carrot, one chopped up celery, and roughly chop a big handful of the cilantro leaves.
- Once your broth is done cooking, take out the chicken and place it on a chopping board or large plate to cool down. Carefully strain the broth into another large pot and discard the leftover cooked veggies. Your broth should be a beautiful golden color filled with lots of flavor from the chicken and veggies!
- Add the bite sized chopped cabbage, potato, fresh chopped carrot, fresh chopped celery to the pot of broth. Bring to a boil, then lower to medium heat and cook for 15 min or until veggies are tender. While the fresh veggies are cooking, start shredding the chicken and toss away the bone and fat.
- Once veggies are tender, turn off the heat, add the shredded chicken and the rest of the cilantro leaves to the soup. Cover for a few minutes so the cilantro can infuse more flavor into the soup. And finally, add salt to taste. Serve with some rice, noodle, or add a squeeze of lime!
And your soup is done! Enjoy this delicious chicken soup recipe, I am sure this will be a regular meal in your home once you try it out and taste how yummy it is!
Thank you guys for visiting, let me know what you think about this recipe! xoxo